JUST IN: Yankees Owner Makes Bold Claim About Roster After Losing Juan Soto Sweepstakes

New York Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner expressed confidence in his team’s roster despite losing superstar outfielder Juan Soto to the New York Mets in free agency. Speaking with Meredith Marakovits on the YES Network, Steinbrenner made it clear that he believes the 2025 roster is stronger than the one the Yankees fielded in 2024.

Steinbrenner’s optimism comes as the team aims to rebound and compete at a high level, even without Soto’s star power in the lineup.

“We’re excited about them,” Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said during an interview on the YES Network. “A lot of hard work, a lot of hard work in December and January. Some people may disagree with me, but I think we have a better team right now than we did a year ago today,” Steinbrenner stated on Tuesday, signaling his confidence in the team’s offseason moves heading into the 2025 season.

“I think our starting rotation is better. I think our defense is better,” Hal Steinbrenner said confidently. “And I think that [Cody] Bellinger and [Paul] Goldschmidt are going to make up for a good deal of Juan’s offense, his bat,” he added, expressing optimism about the Yankees’ ability to fill the void left by Juan Soto’s departure.

Hal Steinbrenner’s claim that the Yankees are better without Juan Soto is undeniably bold. Soto’s 2024 production—41 home runs and a .989 OPS—was integral to the team’s success. However, the Yankees made significant moves to bolster their roster, signing left-hander Max Fried to a long-term deal and adding Paul Goldschmidt in free agency. They also acquired Cody Bellinger, Devin Williams, and Fernando Cruz through trades, making strides to address both offensive and defensive needs.

 

Only time will reveal if these changes elevate the team beyond where they stood with Soto hitting behind Aaron Judge. Last year’s squad made it to the World Series but fell short against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Meanwhile, the Dodgers have only strengthened their already elite roster, with owner Todd Boehly continuing to invest heavily in star talent, rivaling the spending of Mets owner Steve Cohen.

While Steinbrenner hasn’t shown the same willingness to match those astronomical spending levels, he remains confident in the Yankees’ offseason efforts. He believes the 2025 team has the potential to be just as good, if not better, than last year’s World Series-contending roster.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *